Some Quick Tips To Get You Started
What is CPanel?
CPanel is an extremely powerful, web based control panel. Cpanel provides a point and click interface to complicated system tasks, so even new users are able to control their hosting experience. Cpanel allows you to manage almost every aspect of your hosting account.With CPanel, you'll be able to add/remove email accounts, FTP, backups, files, CGI scripts, web-based statistics, and much more.
What is my absolute path?
Our absolute path is the same as what we refer to as your 'path to public_html'. It is: /home/username/public_html This is the same on all accounts.
What is a parked domain?
A parked domain name is an additional domain name that leads to the same place as the main domain name for your account. For instance, if you had domain.com and wanted domain.net to lead to the same place, you would park domain.net on domain.com. You can park a domain in Cpanel under the 'manage parked domains' link.
What is an addon domain?
Addon domains give you the ability to add a second site to your web space. Unlike a parked domain, which resolves to the same place as your main site, an addon domain resolves to it's own folder.
Can I view my site before propagation is finished?
Yes you can. By using the urls in your setup email, you should be able to access your website without a problem. The URL should look something like this:
Can I use FTP before my domain has propagated?
Yes you can. To do this you must use your IP from your setup email as the FTP address. Login with your username and password.
Once the domain has propagated you can use ftp.yourdomain.com.
Do you support ASP?
No we don't. We find that ASP is best suited to a Windows hosting environment. We only run Linux servers here, so we recommend PHP for all of your scripting language needs.
How do I upload and edit my files?
You can upload your files using ftp or Just use the username and password in your setup email, as you connect to either the IP address in your setup email, or ftp.yourdomain.com .
I'm getting an 'Internal server error' with my cgi script.
This being a generic error, it could be caused by many things. Here are some of the most common:
- Your script is not CHMOD 755. (you can do this with your FTP program. Any script you try to run that isn't chmod 755 will result in an internal server error.
- You have incorrectly set the path to Perl in your script. It should be /usr/bin/perl
- You uploaded your script in 'binary' mode on your FTP program. Retry, setting your FTP client to 'ASCII' instead of binary.
- You have used invalid Perl arguments.
While we can't possibly troubleshoot scripts for everyone, if you are having serious problems and have read the instructions for your program, AND tried the above, then please open a trouble ticket and we will help you as best we can. We don't normally do script installation, but we don't like to leave our customers out in the cold either.
What does the 'premature end of script headers' error mean?
99.9% of the time, this error is caused by either uploading in binary instead of ASCII or by incorrect file permissions (not chmod 755). Often you can gather more information by looking at your raw error log in Cpanel. (under the 'stats' header in Cpanel, look for the link that says 'error log' to get to those)
How do I backup my entire site in Cpanel?
Entire accounts can be backed up by doing the following:
- Go to 'backup', under the 'Site Management' header in Cpanel.
- Underneath where it says "Full Backups", click on the link that says "Generate/Download a Full Backup"
- Select which method you wish to use, whether you want to copy the backup directly to another ftp server, or if you wish to generate the backup in your home directory of your account with us. If you don't know which to choose here, the first one (Home Directory) is usually the best choice
- Enter an email address.
- Only answer the other two questions if you are backing up to another FTP server.
- Press 'Generate Backup'.
You have now successfully backed up your full account Cpanel. Cpanel will mail you when your backup is complete.
How can I setup email with Outlook Express?
- When Outlook Express Starts click Tools -> Accounts
- Inside the "Internet Accounts Windows" click Add -> Mail
- Fill in your name. Click Next.
- Click "I already have an e-mail address that I'd like to use" and fill in your email address. Click Next.
- On the "Email Servers Name" page, fill in the server information. "My incoming mail server is a POP3 server." The incoming and outgoing mail server should be either mail.yourdomain.com or the IP address in your setup email. Click Next
- Put in your mailbox username (username is the FULL email address email@example.com) in the account name field, and the password below. Click Next
- Click Finish
How do I set up Thunderbird for your servers?
- In Mozilla Thunderbird , select Tools > Account Settings.
- On the New Account Setup window, select Email account and click Next.
- On the Identity window, in the Your Name field, enter your first and last name.
- In the E-mail Address field, type your email address and click next.
- On the Server Information window, select POP.
- In the Incoming Server field, enter the name of your incoming server, mail.yourdomain.com
- In the Outgoing Server field, type mail.yourdomain.com and click Next.
- On the User Names window, in the Incoming User Name field, enter your user name (your full email address).
- In the Outgoing User Name field, enter your user name (your full email address).
- On the Account Name window, in the Account Name field, enter the name you would like to use for this account, for example "My Account" and click Next.
- Verify that the information is correct and Click Finish
What is SSH or Shell access?
SSH is a secure replacement for telnet, allowing you to have shell access to your EconomicHosting Servers account. SSH is very similar to telnet but protects you by encrypting all communication to and from the server, preventing others from being able to sniff your plain text information.
What is your policy on SPAM?
We have a zero tolerance policy on SPAM. if you do it, your account will be suspended immediately.